Friday 27 September 2013

"Serving you the Love"

Aroma- serving you the love
Walking through the lane with motor mechanics on one side and a gutter flowing on the other, the idea of finding a 'nice' restaurant seemed to be getting blurred!
A right turn and I found myself standing in front of a tall three storeyed building with the restaurant's name shining bright- "Aroma- Multicuisine Family Restaurant." Climbing up the stairs you enter into a pink and yellow lit foyer, beautifully decorated with paintings and clay statues.
The courteous staff led me to a neatly done table. The one in the corner of the restaurant. Over here you could also see paintings by anonymous artists over the walls. Right across the room, the wall held a magnificent painting of the Eiffel Tower beautifully lit by dim incandescent lamps.
Because I already knew what I wanted, deciding on the menu wasn't difficult. "Nundru and naan" it was. Being in Jammu for the first time, the traditional dish is what I wanted to try. Nundru is the lotus stem. It is also known as kamal kakdi and bhein across India.
Nundru and naan


Nundru is one of the main vegetables used in the Kashmiri cuisine. In fact, it is known to be the heart of their food. By the time my dish was getting ready I caught up with the manager of the restaurant, Mr. Vijaya Kumar Menen. A middle aged man with saffron teeka welcomed me warmly. A self taught cook, and now manager of Aroma, was eager to have a tête-à-tête about his enterprise. It has been only five months to the establishment of this highly successful restaurant. The manager of 22 staff members, was tea stall chotu as a kid in Mumbai. An entrepreneur who does not believe in competition, compares his work with the growth of a coconut tree, he believes in making the roots stronger. the fruits would eventually follow. And with this, I could see my food coming. Leaving me to enjoy the food, he wished me all the best.  
Nundru was a vegetable, called a chutney here, made in curd. It wouldn't be an exaggeration to say the food was to-die-for. So much so, I also got it packed for my friends at the hostel. 
The food was indeed served with Love, just as its tag line says! 

Venue: Aroma, Opp. Bahu Plaza, Gandhi Nagar, Jammu. 

No comments:

Post a Comment